Saturday, June 23, 2012

Zucchini/Squash Stew



My zucchini and squash have already come and gone (thanks to the infamous squash borer), but zucchini season, while brief, can be intense.  What to do with all that squash can become a dilemma. This zucchini/squash stew (a recipe from an old church cookbook I have) is one of my favorite ways to fix that prolific vegetable. The stew is delicious and plus it uses up quite a bit of zucchini.

First saute a chopped onion in olive oil.

While the onion is sauteing, chop 4 quarts of zucchini and squash into half-inch cubes.  I usually use half zucchini and half yellow squash, but I shredded a lot of my zucchini and put it in the freezer, and when I went out to the garden for more, my zucchini plant was dead :(  So this version only has yellow squash.

When the onion is clear, add the squash to the pot.

Also add a 15-ounce can of tomato sauce, salt, pepper, basil and oregano.

Simmer the stew until the squash is cooked down.  Serve over pasta or rice, with fresh grated cheese on top.
It's very simple, delicious and summery tasting.


Zucchini/Squash Stew

1 lg. onion, chopped
2 T. oil
2 qt. squash (yellow, zucchini or mixture) cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
shredded cheese (parmesan is good)
cooked rice or pasta

In 4 qt. saucepan, saute onion in oil until clear.  Add squash, tomato sauce, black pepper, salt, basil and oregano.  Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally, until squash is very tender and sauce has thickened. Serve over rice or pasta, or top with shredded cheese and serve as a vegetarian stew.

4 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - I love vegetable-based sauces like this on pasta. Your recipe is waiting for my courgette plants to hurry up and produce something other than plate-size leaves! Shredding and freezing surplus courgettes is a brilliant idea - going to try thi if I get any courgettes at all that is this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had that...but I have enjoyed your tomatoes while you were gone and between yours and my moms I put up some salsa

    Maybe next year my garden will produce as yours did this year...Go Girl

    Squash stew!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow night. I brought home a bunch of squash from Tennessee this weekend. Thought of you as we were driving up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love yellow squash, Angela, and this recipe looks like a keeper. Thanks for sharing.
    Our squash went by way of the squash borer too, so we have planted some more.
    Enjoy your day.
    Hugs,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment :) I've turned off anonymous comments due to spam. If you would like to leave a comment and can't, send me an email.