Thursday, June 14, 2012

Another Snake!


Sorry for the bad picture, but I found this snake (in motion, that's why his tail is ablur) on my kitchen COUNTER today!!  I barely had time to snap a picture because he had to be CAUGHT ASAP.

I was cleaning the counter after lunch and from the corner of my eye saw some motion behind a water bottle, which I assumed was a fly.  I got my fly swatter from its hook in the pantry and returned, moved the water bottle, and instead of a fly I saw a snake!!  I uttered a very weird scream of surprise, which did not disturb my teenage boy who was napping on the couch.  My daughter promptly woke him up because I wanted him to catch the snake.  Thankfully, he did.

The snake was 8 inches long or so and was a harmless earth snake, so my son let him loose out in the front yard.  I do not know what the snake was doing on my counter.  I would not like to find one in the floor, but on my counter??  That goes beyond the pale.  The only thing we can figure out is that there was a bucket of produce from the garden on the counter.  Maybe my husband had inadvertently picked up a hitchhiker along with the cucumbers when he was out in the garden.  HOPEFULLY that is how the snake got in.  Otherwise.......

What is it with me and snakes?  I've had enough snake encounters to do me for a very long time.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Angela! Not surprised you shrieked! I know exactly what you mean about it being one thing on the floor but on the counter being another! Eeeeek! Well done to your teenage son for coming to the rescue! What are sleeping teenagers doing other than waiting to be woken to assist with unwanted livestock removal?! Cockerels in Oxfordshire and snakes In Texas! I love the idea of the snake hitch-hiking with the cucumbers! Did he think he was camouflaged as one do you suppose?! Anyway I hope there are no more snakey hitchhikers or interlopers to bother you - you have had more than enough in the last little while! E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dislike the creatures.. I now they have their place in this world, but please not mine ..LOl I haven't heard of an earth snake so a little home work for me on google..
    So pleased you had help :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela!! What a nightmare! A snake on the kitchen counter just should. not. be. He clearly overstepped his boundaries!

    ~~shudder~~

    Have a great (reptile-free) weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enmity between the serpent and the woman....

    I would have screamed too. I hope you'll be snake-free from now on!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment :) I've turned off anonymous comments due to spam. If you would like to leave a comment and can't, send me an email.