Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Last Sunday I needed to come up with a snack for youth group which was meeting at our house.  And I wanted to use up some of my zucchini.  Teenagers plus zucchini -- how to mix the two?  Add chocolate, that's always got to be good advice ;)  I found this recipe at Taste of Home.  I doubled it to make four loaves.  Look how pretty they are cooking in my oven:
After they were done, I set them on the counter to cool.
Four loaves may look like a lot, but I have to tell you that when I went to bed that night there was not a crumb left!
 I guess this recipe is a keeper.  I did substitute unsweetened applesauce for half the oil.  And next time I will cut the sugar by a third -- it was slightly too sweet for me, although I didn't hear any teenagers complain:)

3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right - that recipe is a keeper! I am not at all surprised there was not a crumb left! How does the applesauce work in place of the oil? Can you taste the apple or does it just fade into the background? I have read of this sort of technique for reducing the fat content of cakes etc before but haven't tried it. I love the moistness of cakes made with vegetables. I have not made a courgette/ zucchini version before but once my courgette plants are producing courgettes some of them are going into making this! Thank you so much. E x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so it's perfectly healthful! ☺ My kind of baking. They certainly look delicious and moist and all those kids can't be lying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sounds wonderful! I'll have to try the recipe sometime.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for leaving a comment :) I've turned off anonymous comments due to spam. If you would like to leave a comment and can't, send me an email.